The reality is that to implement diversity in any organization can be difficult. The makeup of today workplace consists of people from various cultures and backgrounds. And this can be challenging.
This is why it is critical to have an honest assessment and evaluations to be conducted so attainable goals can be created. And strategies implemented to achieve those goals and measurements established to evaluate success. In addition of course recognize these individuals in the company that have achieved diversity goals and repercussions for these who do not.
All diversity initiatives are not immediately successful. It take works, a commitment and perseverance. Here are some pointers to keep in mind.
- Lack of serious commitment dooms companies to failure
- Support from all levels of management is essential for success. It cannot be a bottom-up approach.
- Metrics are essential. How else will you know if you’re achieving yours goals?
- Training is imperative. We all have our own issues and must be honest about them. And learn to communicate effectively with people who are different than you.
- Diversity/cultural sensitivity training should be conducted on a regular basis, not once a year.